Our Statement of Solidarity
If there’s one thing that the Harry Potter series taught us, it’s that oppression is an evil worth fighting against.
Even as kids, we recognize the allegory in the idea that people of “pure blood” are somehow worth more than those with mixed or non-magical parentage, and the direct metaphor to real world bigotry based on race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, ability, economic status, and a host of other identities. And as a company founded by two queer women, we have felt some of that sting ourselves.
It is with this in mind that we pledge our solidarity with those living with marginalized identities during a time when a culture of discrimination permeates our society.
- We believe #BlackLivesMatter, and that systemic racism must be defeated in order for us all to be truly liberated.
- We value the rich cultural and intellectual contributions of our Latinx neighbors, and we believe in building bridges—not walls.
- We believe that love is love, that trans women are women and trans men are men, that everyone should use whatever bathroom they want (we’re all just there to pee, guys!) and that all queer and non-cis identities deserve to have their rights protected by law.
- We believe in religious freedom for all, not just those who worship as we do.
- We believe in the sovereignty of Indigenous nations, and we know #WaterIsLife.
- We reject patriarchy and the harm it causes to all of us, but in particular women, femmes, and non-binary folks, and we believe victims when they stand up and say #MeToo.
- We believe our neurodivergent and disabled citizens deserve respect and adequate care, and that healthcare is a right–not a luxury for the privileged.
These are beliefs that we, as activists, fight for in our personal lives, and they are also guiding principals for Accio! as a company. We know we may lose some of you as customers for this statement, but ultimately, our commitment to resisting against hatred and intolerance trumps everything, including the success of our business. We choose people over profits, every time.
In the words of Albus Dumbledore, “Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy.”
As for us, we choose love. And we choose to resist.